Manipur Institute of Management Studies (MIMS), Manipur University was established in the year 1995. The Institute right from its inception has been striving for “Growth with Quality” – the motto of the Institute. It is a growing Institute with a mission to instill potential and practicing managers with analytical skills, leadership qualities, achievement motives and a vision so crucial to the steering of an enterprise in the N.E. Region. Well equipped in human and physical infrastructure, the institute caters to the educational needs of the society by imparting knowledge and enhancing research in the management discipline. Besides imparting management education, the institute trains the students with personality development and ethical practices thereby equipping them to become professionals with good career prospects. The broad programme perspectives of the Institute shall be to undertake the following in a phased manner:
- To conduct various types of courses on management and to offer short-term programmes in Marketing Management, Rural Sector Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Executive Development Programmes.
- To prepare competent hands for careers in teaching, research and consultancy in Management.
- To organize courses, seminars, workshops and research programmes in specialized areas in collaboration with industrial, commercial, educational and other Institutions.
- To provide consultancy service to different organizations and also to conduct need based training programmes for their executives.
- To promote entrepreneurial climate in the N.E. Region by taking up preparation of project – feasibility reports and liaison between the entrepreneurs and financing institutions.
- To take up research work in management and also case development.
- To establish linkages between the industry, business houses and academia.
- To collaborate with professional, teaching and training institutes in India and abroad for the development of management education, research extension activities and expertise for consultancy.
University at a glance
The Manipur University was established under the Manipur University Act, 1980, came into existence on June 5, 1980. It became a Central University on October 13, 2005, under the Manipur University Act, 2005, passed by the Parliament. The University has six Schools of Studies including the School of Medical Science and 30 departments and 7 different Centres of Studies are attached to the different Schools www.manipuruniv.ac. in of Studies. At present the University has 79 affiliated Colleges inclusive of 2 medical colleges. Manipur Institute of Technology (MIT) is a constituent college of the University.
The main objectives of the University are to disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities, to make provisions for integrated courses in humanities, natural and physical sciences, social sciences, forestry and other allied disciplines in the educational programmes; to take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process, inter-disciplinary studies and research; to educate and train manpower for the development of the country in general and North Eastern Region in particular, needed to pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions and welfare of the people of the State, and also to enhance their intellectual, academic and cultural development.
Located in the historic Canchipur, the University has a campus of 287.53 acres with scenic surroundings. The campus is endowed with historical and cultural places like the Rasmandal, the place where the famous Ras Lila was performed during the reign of Rajarshi Bhagyachandra, and the Langthabal Konung (Palace), where King Maharaja Gambhir Singh, who liberated Manipur from the Burmese, took his last breath. Canchipur is also the birthplace of Dr. Lamabam
Kamal Singh, a renowned poet of Manipur.